Friday, August 16, 2013

Camping

One year ago this weekend we went on a camping trip up Big Cottonwood Canyon with my family. It's always fun to go camping and to be with my family, but this was the first time I went on a family trip by myself. Jonathan moved out of the house that weekend while we were gone.

This morning we're leaving for a camping trip with my whole family up at Panguitch Lake. Tyler flew in from D.C. Heather and her little family are coming up from Vegas. It should be a fun trip and the kids are especially looking forward to it because we haven't been camping since that trip a year ago and they really enjoy it.

So, I guess this kind of marks my final anniversary of this year long journey I've been on. And here is the big, beautiful thing I've realized over the last couple of weeks. God can heal us completely, make us completely whole! I don't think I believed it possible. I knew God would give us peace and make us strong to get through things, and make all things work together for our good; but I thought there would always be big scars left from such a traumatizing (to me,) event. I don't feel scared. I don't feel like a broken vase that has been put together with super glue and still has the cracks to show for it. I feel new, I feel beautiful, I feel whole, I feel happy, I feel free. And the other realization that came along with this is that this kind of healing is nothing less than a miracle. When I look back at how I felt just even a few month ago, let alone a year ago, it's nothing less than miraculous that I now feel so healed. I'm so grateful for the miracles God works in our lives! And guess what, if we didn't have to go through really, really hard things there would be no space in our lives for God to work miracles. And miracles are an experience like no other, which makes it worth the struggle. Much thanks and love to all my family and friend for their amazing and continued support. You are all instruments in God's hands.

God is a God of miracles. He can completely heal us and make us whole. "Heavy heart, now a weightless cloud." 

2 comments:

Bridget said...

Julie,

This post made me smile a big smile and send up a prayer of thanksgiving along with yours!

Love you!

Anonymous said...

I don't know if you've read this quote before but your post reminded me of it.

"When the Japanese mend broken objects, they aggrandize the damage by filling the cracks with gold. They believe that when something's suffered damage and has a history it becomes more beautiful." ~Barbara Bloom

"Thy dross to consume and thy gold to refine."