Friday, April 19, 2013

Lessons on letting go of Control

If anyone would ever like to get some schooling and practice in the art of letting go of control, may I recommend divorce when you have children. When they are at their dad's everything that goes on is out of my control. There are so many things I'm not really fond of, most of it minor things, from the food they eat for dinner, the time they go to bed, to the amount of time they spend in front of a screen and the kind of movies they watch. Even some not quite as minor things, but still I have no control over it.

Could I express my dislike and concern about things that happen that I don't like? Yes I could, though I try very hard to pick my battles carefully. But the truth is, he will still do things his way usually no matter what I say or think, and that's his right. I know that as parents we already have limited control over our children's lives. They go to school, they spend time with friends. However, in this situation, I feel like whatever control I would normally have has been cut in half. I'm just doing my best not to drive myself insane with all the many things I can't control and leave it in God's hands, since it's out of mine.

No comments: