I've been given the amazing opportunity to sing the role of Gretel in Humperdinck's opera Hansel and Gretel. This is a huge role, a lead in a full blown opera. I'm totally excited and also feeling pretty overwhelmed. I don't know how well I'll be able to do a role like this. It's going to be a huge challenge, and require a ton of work. The opera is being done as a co-production of Utah and Idaho Performing Arts Company (who I've worked with on several occasions and is how I got the role,) and Draper Historic Theater. It will be performed in Draper in the month of October. The opera is originally in German, but we will thankfully be singing it in English (it is often performed in English.) The timing works out pretty well, rehearsals start in August, which is when I'll be done with Hello Dolly! So I'll have two full months after I finish Dolly to get myself ready for this role, which is very different from what I'm doing in Dolly. Never in another kind of setting would I get a chance to sing a role like this, so I'm very grateful for this chance, and only hope I can do it well. To get the chance to do two great roles like this in a row is a very lovely thing, and hopefully leads to other lovely things in the future.
Speaking of Hello Dolly! things are coming along. We still have 6 weeks before we perform. The director seems a bit scattered and things don't always run particularly smoothly and the ensemble is lacking in the fact that there are hardly any adults. All that being said, it's a great role, we have good leads, and I'm having a lot of fun. Emily is also having fun and getting some good chances to sing and dance and perform. It will be interesting to perform outdoors, as I've never done that before. I've also never performed miked before, as I've never had a lead, and I don't particularly hearing myself through a mic. so that will take some getting used to as well. And hopefully I can get my knees feeling better so that I'm able to waltz.
Speaking of knees, my knees have been bothering me for about two months now. I don't think I have injured them, I think it is just been the build up of all the squatting, lunging, jumping, running I do, but who knows. I thought they were getting better but then they got worse again. I finally gave in on Friday and called an orthopedic doctor recommended to me and have an appointment Wednesday afternoon. It's very frustrating as I really just want to be able to get out and go do whatever physical activity I want without pain and without having pain throughout the day, despite my level of activity. Hopefully I can figure out what is wrong and get them fixed so I can get on with my workouts like I want!
2 comments:
Congratulations on your 2 big rolls! How exciting!!
I'm so excited for you in both of your roles! I would love to see Hansel and Gretel! You're awesome:)
Post a Comment