Sunday, June 24, 2012

Knees

I went to an orthopedic doctor on Wednesday about my constantly hurting knees. It appears the problem is that instead of my knee caps sitting in the middle of the knee joint moving in the nice groove meant for them to move in, that my knee caps have been pulled to the outside and are therefore rubbing where they are not meant to rub. The treatment he recommended was to do physical therapy for a good 4 weeks to strengthen the inner muscles in the hopes of pulling the knee caps in. I have an appointment with a physical therapist Tuesday morning. I'm hoping to learn what exercises I need to do and then do them at home because I can't afford to go to a PT multiple times a week. If this is not effective he said to consider a knee scope where they would smooth out where the knee cap has been rubbing in the wrong placed and messed up the cartilage and then they would release something on the outside of the knee that would allow the knee cap to slip back into place. I have had a couple of people recommend going to a chiropractor, because if things in the spine are off it messes up all sorts of things. I might try that if PT doesn't work before I decide to try the scope.

He said to go ahead and continue to be active and workout though he recommended not running (especially hills) and to not do stairs. I laughed and told him I lived in a 4 level house, he joked that I should move. I have been taking things easy though just because I don't like having them hurt so much all the time. Hopefully soon things will be back to normal and I can be as active as I like. I'm only working out about 3 times a week, mostly just walking. I miss working out more and doing more variety.

No comments: