Tuesday late afternoon I explained to him what was going to happen. He was upset about having to "go to sleep" and said he didn't want to go. I was worried he was going to really freak about it. We had to be a the Primary Children's Outpatient Center in Riverton at 6:15 am. I just pulled him out of bed and buckled him the car. He was fine the whole time before surgery, never freaking out, except for being a little upset about the "pajamas" they had him put on because he didn't like the way they fit. He got to play xbox games while waiting and we had to wait a while because the anesthesiologist was running late. But when he got there Ryan very easily just walked off with him to the operating room. Luckily they put them under with gas before putting an IV in their foot, an IV would have been a big deal for Ryan! With it in his foot he didn't evern notice it the whole post-op time until they had to take it off before we went home and the tape was really hard to get off. The surgery took about 45 minutes and according the doctor it went great, was "textbook." I got back into the recovery room just as he woke up and he was crying. But he only cried for about 5 minutes before he calmed down. He was sleepy and just sat in my lap the whole time we were there afterwards, close to 2 hours probably. He drank some juice and had some slushy. Just a few minutes before we got home he threw up, but it all made it in the bag we got from the surgery center. He spent the afternoon watching movies. I kept him dosed on pain medicine but he did really great all day. I can't imagine things going any smoother than they did! It was such an answer to prayer. He did great.
Today he has been basically back to normal. He's still home from the school the rest of this week. The eye is very red. I took him into the doctor this morning and he says it looks really good and the fact that he seems to be seeing double is normal and shows that he is now using both eyes in ways he wasn't before. I go back again in a week.
1 comment:
That is so great that it went so well!! Glad he is healing properly and can still see. :)
Post a Comment