I want to spend the rest of my life doing music. I want to do more than I've done in the past. I think I want to go back to school in music in a few years. I want to get back into musical theater. I haven't yet worked out exactly what I want to do, but I want to do more, be better, get more involved. I've been wanting to take voice lessons for a long time and when the Europe Tour fell through I decided I'd take all that money I'd be saving by not going and take voice lessons. (Plus then I wasn't quite as bummed about not going on tour because I had something to look forward to.) I found my voice teacher from a recommendation from a recommendation. Yesterday evening was my first lesson and she is great! We have the same voice type and are even both built the same so she said it would be easy to teach me. She said I have a nice pure voice that is unmessed up and that there is a lot of good stuff to work with. =) She's already talking recitals, solos, choirs, lead roles.... I think another reason taking voice lessons will be great is I'll be able to build connections with other musicians and hopefully have some doors opened up to me.
I think the biggest thing I learned in my first lesson is that I just need to relax, let go and have confidence in myself and my abilities. I've always struggled with confidence since college, though I've gotten much more confident and relaxed in recent years. But I still have some pretty strong preconceived notions of what I can and can't do. But maybe I'm wrong, maybe I can do so much more. I'm also aware that trying to start this at the age of 31 I don't know what kind of opportunities I'll have, but whether my future holds teaching, conducting, being on stage, etc. I want to be a singer/musician when I grow up!!
(Oh, and maybe taking care of my voice will be a good incentive to not yell at my kids as much.)
1 comment:
That sounds so exciting! I hope things go forward in a way you will be pleased with. I think it sounds way better than working in Human Resources! JK If only I had a good voice......
Post a Comment