Wednesday, March 26, 2008

In memory of Shauna

I was driving in the car and the song Escape (though I like to call it the Pina Colada song,) by Rupert Holmes came on. I have always liked the song, but the last 10 years or so the song has always reminded me of my friend Shauna, in fact she is the only reason I know the song's artist. Shauna knew everything. I worked with Shauna for over 2 years at Career Placement when I was at BYU, shut up in a little closet of an office, with only Cozy (the radio station) coming through the intercom to keep us company. That song would come on pretty often and it would always make us happy. Shauna was one of the funniest people I have ever known. She was great fun, the life of the party. She was also a great friend, abounding in sound advice and support for all situations.

Shauna passed away almost 3 years ago after a couple years battle with melanoma skin cancer (wear sun screen and for heaven's sake don't go tanning!!) The emails she sent through it all were truly inspiring as she never let her spirits, sense of humor or hope falter. It is still hard to imagine someone so full of life to not be here anymore. But I'm sure she's keeping everyone on the other side roaring with laughter and fun.

So, Shauna, here's to you...

"If you like Pina Coladas, and getting caught in the rain.
If you're not into yoga, if you have half-a-brain...."

No comments: