Saturday, October 20, 2007

Lesson learned about the importance of the Boy Scout Motto

While our weekend getaway was enjoyable, it did not go perfectly smoothly due to unanticipated amounts of snow. I was careful to check weather and road condition forecasts, I even called the lodge to see if chains would be needed to get up to the lodge, the girl on the phone said no. She was wrong. We braved the road and struggled up it making it to within about 1/2 a mile to the lodge when we finally got stuck for good. Luckily we have AAA (I guess we were a little prepared) and so we sat in the car for an hour on a snow covered mountain as it quickly got dark waiting for the tow truck to come. It did, and easily towed us up to the lodge and parked our car in the parking lot for us. However the snow never stopped and they got several inches overnight and expect 10" today. Thankfully one of the gift shops up there sold chains, though I'm sure we overpaid for them in such a situation, and so despite the continuous snow fall we were able to make it home alive. This situation also reminded me of the need to do our Will. You never know when you might drive off a cliff in a snow storm and I don't want my children to be wards of the state. So while enjoyable, our trip was stressful and scary at times, but we now own chains and know how to put them on, so we are prepared for any snow situations.


1 comment:

Shaela said...

Glad you are safe. The lodge looked great! It is amazing to see the snow pictures. Last week we were still in the mid 90's!