Last night my friend Alisa and I went to a Single Adult dance in Salt Lake. In case you are wondering, let me just say right off the bat that if you are a normal, attractive, (almost) 35 year old girl you are not going to find your soul mate at a SA dance. Lucky for me, if I'm dancing, I'm going to have a good time.
So here's how the night went: We walk in and very quickly realize there is no one there within 10 years of us (except for Brad, who is definitely crazy.) It was crowded and super hot and pretty stinky in that gym. I was tempted to leave right then, but my friend said, "No, let's just have some fun dancing." We knew the DJ, he's in our ward, so I told him to be sure to not play too many slow songs, mostly good upbeat stuff I could dance too and he was fairly obliging. ;) So we danced, and we had fun dancing.
There are a surprising number of short men out there, and most of the guys I danced with where quite short, which I'm not really used to. I'm sure they were all very happy to have two cute, young, short girls appear in their midst. In fact I had several people say to me, "You're too young to be here," so I had to assure them I was not. Both Alisa and I look much younger than we are, plus, like I said, no one under the age of 45 was there, so we were definitely the odd gals out.
We only ended up being there maybe an hour and a half tops. The last part of the night we ended up with a couple of guys hanging around us, Crazy Brad and Nice Enough Guy Todd, but he had probably 10 years on me and I figure I might as well start with some higher hopes and expectations for myself and slowly lower them as the years go by.
It's shocking and sad how many single adults there are, and I think every guy I danced with was divorced, also shocking and sad. Though in this group the fact of my having 5 kids didn't seem to phase them since they all had 4 or 5 of their own, and mostly older now. Unfortunately, I anticipate the fact of me having 5 kids will be a huge obstacle in the group I'm interested in (30 year olds.) But maybe I'll be wrong.
Like I said, we had a good time. I love dancing, it's so therapeutic, and it was fun to dance somewhere else than in my living room. And I have decided that it was probably actually nice that my first escapade into mingling with singles was with a bunch of (in my book,) ineligible men because then I could just enjoy myself and have fun. I fear I will not know how to act around guys I might possibly be interested in. I don't think we shall go to one of those dances again, though. We'll likely try a couple of others in hopes of finding a younger demographic, though I don't believe we'll have much luck of that. The church really needs to do more to create some focus for mid-singles instead of just lumping everyone over 30 into one group. So, like I said at the beginning, I don't think I'll find my soul mate at a dance, but at least I'll have a great time dancing! :)
5 comments:
I was just thinking the other day that I wanted to go out dancing. My one experience with a singles dance was like yours--no one under 45 or so in the room. I only lasted about 15 minutes because the music was lame too. We'll have to try to find a mid-singles dance and go sometime. I think there might be some activities in the Provo area but I've been trying to find out more information on them.
The DJ, who does a lot of SA dances, said the youngest crowds are found in Utah Valley, but even then they aren't particularly young. Let me know what you find out and next time I go dancing I'll let you know so you can come if you want.
I can't imagine how strange that situation must seem, but I am so glad you had fun dancing. So glad you are sharing your experiences with us :)
This actually sounds like a step up from the SA activities I've been to in the past 2 years. I stopped going to anything but firesides.
Did you know you can create short urls with Shortest and make $$$ for every visitor to your shortened urls.
Post a Comment