Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Disruptions

Today was one of those days where I was reminded that my life is now more complicated and no longer the ideal I would like it to be. A little after 7 am my babysitter called to tell me she was sick so she couldn't watch Benjamin. Thankfully I was able to call my parents and they were free so I easily had someone to watch him. Then around 12 the school called because Emily wasn't feeling well and I needed to come pick her up. I called my mom and she was able to do it. But pretty soon my parents will both likely be working full-time, then what happens when things like this happen? And yes, thankfully I have a job with PTO and their very good to work with and flexible so if I had to stay home with Benjamin or leave early to pick up a sick kid I could, but then I either have to use a PTO day, make up the time, or work less hours and make less money. See, complicated and un-ideal. And what do single moms do who aren't as lucky as me to have parents close by who are free or a flexible job, what do they do when the babysitter is sick, or kids are sick? Having small kids and also having to work is a tricky thing, as much as I love my job.

And now, after posting this, I just got another call from my babysitter and because of what she has she expects to be sick for a couple of weeks. So now what am I supposed to? I can't expect my parents to watch him every day for two weeks. Sometimes I can't help but feel that this situation really sucks!

3 comments:

FoxyJ said...

The other day one of my student employees told me that she had been fired from a job from missing too much time for sick kids (that's what happens when you're a single mom working at a call center--and why she's going back to school). It's hard figuring out who is going to deal with stuff--I feel like I need a backup for my backup sometimes. Blah.

Heidi said...

Ugh. what happens in the summer? single parenthood is hard.

Julie said...

In the summer I will be leaving them home alone. Not ideal for any of us, I'm sure the kids won't be thrilled, especially Emily. But I don't have another good option. This is our life now, we all have to adjust to it. I did find a permanent backup sitter though, so that makes me feel a little better.