Sunday, September 30, 2012

Julie and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Year

This is not an easy post to write. Frankly one of the main reasons I haven't written it before now was because I was hoping for a different outcome, but that seems unlikely. It has been hard to accept the unacceptable. Hard to understand and fathom the unfathomable. But I know that I will never have satisfactory answers to the whys, hows, etc. It is what it is, and because of such I will have a terrible, horrible, no good, very bad year. I'm told it takes about a year for things to get better. I jokingly told the counselor I meet with that if I'm not all better in a year I will demand a refund.

Just the Facts: (Cliffs Notes Version)
On July 7 I learned that Jonathan wanted to leave me. He's "not happy," and it's just "not working." He moved out on August 18 to an apartment close by. He has the kids Tuesday and Thursday evenings and every other weekend. It now appears that divorce is a technicality waiting on my insurance to kick in on Dec. 1st.

Expanded Information:
The simple/short version of this, (of course things are never simple or short, but I don't really understand it myself,) is that Jonathan left the church a few years ago and things have been tough since then. I thought we were both committed to making things work. Apparently I was wrong in this assumption. The trick with a marriage (or any relationship really,) is that while it takes two people to make a marriage work it only takes one to end it. Now let me just publicly state here for the record that I have in no way, shape, or form been a perfect wife. I have done many things wrong. There is nothing like having your husband leave you to throw into a stark light all the things you have done wrong in your relationship and make you identify all the times you wish had done things differently and all of the changes you would willing make to help the relationship work better in the future. But I'm not going to get that chance. Having said that, I can honestly say with a clear conscience that I have always striven, no matter how imperfectly, to love and serve my husband and have always been completely committed to our marriage, and I have done nothing to warrant him walking away from almost 14 years of marriage and 5 children.

The Good:
1. My parents have moved here and live 10 minutes away from me. I don't think I would be surviving without them.
2. I have found the perfect job. It is as a part-time HR Assistant (what my degree is in) for Catholic Community Services of Utah (great non-prof org,) with full benefits! Yes, part-time 9-2 with full benefits! I start Oct. 8th.
3. I am a strong, well-grounded, capable women and I know I will get through this. However it is (and already has,) going to suck royally getting to that point. Many days I don't want to do it!

My biggest fear:
My children's welfare. I'm an adult and have the ability to cope with this (some days.) They do not. I read in a book about a single-mother asking her now grown daughter what she could have done better when she was trying to raise them alone. The daughter's answer was, "There is no good way to do it because it shouldn't be done." It's true, my children should not have to be put through this. They deserve to be raised by both their father and their mother in an intact, safe, loving home. They should not have to face such sorrow, fear, confusion and loss at such tender ages. Books I read lead me to worry that my children will be scarred for life because of this. I mourn for them and worry I am not strong enough to do this on my own, that I can't be all they need me to be in such trying circumstances.

Your prayers on behalf of me and my children are gratefully requested at this extremely difficult time.

8 comments:

Katie said...

We are praying for all of you.

Steve and Jeni said...

Julie, you are the strongest person I know. Keep your head high, we are all there to help you! Keep the Faith!!! We all love you and your little family. Jeni

lyn said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Tiffany said...

Julie I'm also sorry to hear this. I been crying and praying for you all week:) I know you're a strong person and I wish for a bright and happy future for you and your children!

lyn said...

So sorry to hear this. I've been in your shoes and know well the overwhelming fears and remorse that accompany such a "terrible,horrible,no good,very bad" situation. Thankfully my marriage was saved in the 11th hour; but..you're right: it takes TWO people to humbly make the committed choice to take accountability for the part that they played in harming their marriage, forgive each other and mend each others' wounds. I will definitely keep your family in my prayers. My only (unsolicited) advice, based on experience, is this: you will receive advice, both good and bad, from several different (well-meaning) friends, counselors and family, but give special heed to the advice you receive from your priesthood leaders and meet regularly with them. May the Lord's grace empower you and give you peace on your journey.:)

Kristin said...

So sorry to hear this Julie. Prayers for you and your little ones.

Jared said...

Julie...I'm sure you've already read/heard this before, but this talk had a considerable effect on me, even though I'm not a product of a single-parent home...I just found it to be soothing even though it doesn't pertain to me...keep your head up young lady....
http://www.lds.org/general-conference/2012/04/faith-fortitude-fulfillment-a-message-to-single-parents?lang=eng&query="single+mothers"

Lydia Moon said...

Julie,
I've been absent from the blogosphere for a while and am just beginning to get caught up. I'm so sorry for this difficult trial you are going through! I'm praying for all of you!