Wednesday: I got there around 4 pm. We dropped my stuff at the hotel then met up with a friend of Jonathan's from work and his wife and went and found dinner. Then we walked around the Mall and saw some of the monuments.
Thursday: I had a "Me Party." I went and got tickets to the Holocaust Museum then went exploring some of the museums on the mall. I particularly enjoyed the National Art Museum. I saw the only Da Vinci that is in the Western Hemisphere. I feel pretty special. I went and met my brother Tyler for lunch over where he works. Then I walked around the Capitol and the Botanical Gardens and then went to meet Jonathan and the couple from Wednesday night at the Holocaust museum. There is so much to see there and we ran out of time to get to learn all we would have liked. Then Tyler met up with us and we went and got dinner in China Town.
Friday: Tyler had Friday off work so I met up with him that morning. We went over to the Jefferson Memorial and then to the National History Museum. They have a Sunstone there from the Nauvoo Temple on display. Then we grabbed lunch at the Old Post Office Building where we also went up to the top of the clock tower where you have a nice view of the city. We then saw a little bit of the American Art Museum and Portrait Gallery. Then I went by myself to a matinee of the musical 1776 at the Ford Theater (the place where Lincoln was shot.) It was very, very good and a lot of fun and made me feel all patriotic. Then I met Jonathan and Tyler at the Museum of Natural History where we wandered around a bit. Then we went up to Dupont Circle and had dinner up there and walked around some. It is a very cool neighborhood.
Saturday: Jonathan was done with his conference so we got the whole day just the two of us. We went and had a very yummy breakfast then walked around the White House and the White House Visitors Center. Despite requesting 4 months in advance we didn't get to tour the White House which I was disappointed about. Then we went over and walked around the Jefferson Building of the Library of Congress. It is an amazingly beautiful building!! Did you know the Library of Congress is the largest Library in the world? Plus we got to see George Gershwin's piano. Then we toured the Capitol Building. After that we tried to quickly head back to our hotel, but the metro lines where under maintenance so they were pretty delayed all weekend. We finally got back and quickly changed into our fancy clothes and then jumped in a taxi to go to a fancy dinner. This was my first time in a taxi. It actually wasn't that exciting, just sitting in the back of a car, especially since sitting in the back of cars can make me car sick. But it is very convenient when you're wearing 3-inch heels and the metro trains are all delayed. Then we went over to the Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts to hear the National Symphony Orchestra. It was really, really good. Noticeably better the the Utah Symphony.
Sunday we slept in a little bit. Then packed ourselves up. We checked out and left our bags with the hotel then we went to Arlington Cemetery. It is huge and it would be nice to have a car to drive around and see all the stuff. We did take the little shuttle tour thing and that was nice. It's sobering to see the rolling hills of tombstones. Then we went back and got our bags and headed to the airport to come home.
Trips are of course never long enough, and I have a list of things I want to see next time I'm there. But it was a fun little get away, full of LOTS of walking and lots of things to do and see. Luckily my parents got to stick around a couple of days after we get home so I could spend a little time with them.


No comments:
Post a Comment