Monday, January 30, 2012

Happiness

Ever since I moved here and was looking for a choir to sing in, the one I really wanted to be a part of was Utah Chamber Artists. A couple of weeks ago a friend of mine who sings with them, and who knows that I want to sing with them, sent me an email saying they were short sopranos for their next concert and asked if I was interested in trying to audition. I of course said yes! She sent my information to the director and several days later he emailed me to set up an audition time. It turned out that this was one of my more disastrous audition experiences. I was supposed to audition for him on Wednesday up at his office at the U. (He is head of the choral department there.) I drove all the up there only to find he wasn't in his office. He emailed me a little later apologizing that he had gotten stuck in a meeting and we arranged for me to go back up there Friday. When I pulled into the parking lot up at the U, I realized I had left my music at home!! So I had to sing acapella for him. But thankfully, all is well that ends well and I am in the choir!!! The director is Barlow Bradford and he seems to be a really nice guy in addition to being a musical genius. Generally when you audition for something you don't get feedback, just a yes or no. But after I sang for him he told me that it was beautiful and that he really loved my voice. He said I had a very pure sound and that I had good pitch. His one critique was that it seemed a little tense or strained (part of that being due to nerves and having to sing acapella, etc.) but that I didn't need to force because I had such a nice voice. He said he didn't add sopranos to the choir lightly because they are kind of the jewel of the group but that he would love to have me sing with them, right away if I could. Last night was our first rehearsal and it was great. I love singing in a smaller choir and it's so great to be singing great music with great musicians. I'm excited to really dedicate myself to this group and become a part of it. With choirs in the past I haven't sang in them very long because of moving around, etc. But now that I'm in the type of group I really want to sing with and we aren't moving anywhere, I can really get myself integrated and involved. They are even planning a tour to Europe for the summer of 2013. Now there are just two other things I want really bad, one is to do the show Into the Woods (which I'm auditioning for on Thursday so lots of fingers crossed,) and the second is to get into the Utah Opera Chorus, which will audition probably in April. They even pay you! Hopefully soon all of my dreams will have come true! ;)

2 comments:

B.G. Christensen said...

But then what will you do after that?

Renee said...

Congrats, Julie!