After getting back into musical theater last year with HMS Pinafore I was immediately hooked. I always loved it and have always missed it. I was lucky to then do Music Man as well last summer and had a blast. I wanted to keep these fun time goings by regularly doing shows. Over the past 9 months I have been to 11 auditions. In quite a few of these instances I have been trying to get a lead or supporting role and was not interested in ensemble roles. Turns out no one wants to cast me as a lead role, at least right now. Although for several of them I was called back for a lead role, but didn't get the part. The one big show that I have been gunning for for over a year is Seven Brides for Seven Brothers. The last couple of months, whenever I didn't get into a show, while disappointed, I would think, well at least I can still do Seven Brides. Auditions for Seven Brides was this past Saturday. We sang and danced. I thought my audition went very well, however I didn't even make call backs! To say the least I was very upset and disappointed!! Rejection is always hard, this one was especially hard when you combine all the previous rejections with how badly I wanted to do this show, and to not even make call backs feels especially lame. If I were to guess I think it was the dancing that was the reason. I am a good dancer, but not as great and with much less than training than a lot of others. I have auditioned for 3 separate shows with this particular choreographer and never gotten into a show, maybe she doesn't like me. Unfortunately she choreographs a lot of the shows! So it's been a hard last while when it comes to music and theater for me. I'm having serious doubts as to my talent, abilities, etc. and thinking maybe I'm not supposed to be doing this right now. And since I'm going to get my tonsils out in August that will put a stop to some auditions in the near future.
Audition number 11 was for Wizard of Oz, which is being put on by the city of Cottonwood Heights. The three older kids auditioned with me as well. We have all been cast in the show, the kids as munchkins/Ozians and me as an Ozian. It will be fun to do a show with the kids and hopefully they will have a really great time. However, I can't help but be disappointed that after all this time, effort, energy, attempts, etc. all I have to show for it is an ensemble role in a city's summer musical. (I know, I'm a spoiled brat.) The dates of the show are August 5, 6, 8, 12, & 13 at Brighton High School in Cottonwood Heights. Be sure to mark your calendar and come see the kids and me. It should be fun!!
No comments:
Post a Comment