Friday, February 11, 2011

My Psalm

This week has been a bit rough for me. (I'm taking wagers as to whether or not the next two weeks will be any better seeing as Jonathan has two business trips in the next two weeks.) This morning I was reading in 2nd Nephi, Chapter 4, otherwise known as Nephi's Psalm. It was the perfect expression of how I am feeling, so here is a slightly edited version I'm calling My Psalm.

"Behold, my
soul delighteth in the things of the Lord; and my heart pondereth continually upon the things which I have seen and heard.

Nevertheless, notwithstanding the great goodness of the Lord, in showing me his great and marvelous works, my heart exclaimeth: O wretched woman that I am! Yea, my heart
sorroweth. Nevertheless, I know in whom I have trusted. My God hath been my support; he hath led me through mine afflictions in the wilderness; and he hath preserved me upon the waters of the great deep. He hath filled me with his love, even unto the consuming of my flesh. Behold, he hath heard my cry by day, and he hath given me knowledge. By day have I waxed bold in mighty prayer before him; yea, my voice have I sent up on high; and angels came down and ministered unto me.

O then, if I have seen so great things, if the Lord in his condescension unto the children of men hath visited me in so much mercy, why should my heart weep and my soul linger in the valley of sorrow, and my flesh waste away, and my strength slacken, because of mine afflictions? And why should I yield to sin, because of my flesh? Yea, why should I give way to temptations, that the evil one have place in my heart to destroy my peace and afflict my soul?

Awake, my soul! No longer droop in sin. Rejoice, O my heart, and give place no more for the enemy of my soul. Rejoice, O my heart, and cry unto the Lord, and say: O Lord, I will praise thee forever; yea, my soul will rejoice in thee, my God, and the rock of my salvation.

O Lord, wilt thou redeem my soul, because that my heart is broken and my spirit is contrite! O Lord, wilt thou encircle me around in the robe of thy righteousness! Wilt thou make my path straight before me!

O Lord, I have trusted in thee, and I will trust in thee forever. I will not put my trust in the arm of flesh.

Yea, I know that God will give liberally to her that asketh. Yea, my God will give me, if I ask not amiss; therefore I will lift up my voice unto thee; yea, I will cry unto thee, my God, the rock of my righteousness. Behold, my voice shall forever ascend up unto thee, my rock and mine everlasting God."

Here's the thing, God aint never failed me yet! No really, never! When I look back at hard times in my life I can honestly say that He has absolutely always come through for me. It often takes some time, but if I honestly strive to do what I know I need to do to find Him and seek Him out, He comes and He gives me aid. The scripture, "My grace is sufficient for you," has been going through my head a lot lately. When the thought comes into my head, "I don't think I can do this, I don't want to do this," the reply comes, "Yep, you can because I'm here and that's enough."

We always say that God will never give us more than we can handle, but here's the catch, with God all things are possible, with His aid we can handle anything. He's not there to get us out of the things that happen in this life. Things happen, yucky, hard, no good things happen, it's the way this life works. He's there to get us through all those things, give us what we need to make it through and become stronger in the process.

I know in whom I have put my trust, He has proven Himself again and again, so I will trust in Him forever. Maybe some day I'll get to the point where that faith and trust kicks in immediately so that when I'm faced with hard things I don't spend so much time at the beginning freaking out about it. Until then, I'll slowly make my way through, relying on the arm of Him who is mighty to save.

Yea, I know that God will give liberally to her that asketh. Yea, my God will give me, if I ask not amiss; therefore I will lift up my voice unto thee; yea, I will cry unto thee, my God, the rock of my righteousness. Behold, my voice shall forever ascend up unto thee, my rock and mine everlasting God.

Amen!!


1 comment:

Blogger said...

Did you know that you can create short urls with Shortest and make dollars for every visit to your short urls.