Saturday, October 9, 2010

New Car for a New Job

We bought a car yesterday, we now are a two car family. It will be helpful and convienent in many ways. However, I'm kind of against cars in general because they are expensive. Sometimes I think I would prefer to live in a situation where you didn't need a car at all, but that is not our situation. The car is a 2007 Ford Focus with under 52k miles. According to the value based on Kelly Blue Book and our bank we got a real good deal on it too. Hopefully it will last us for quite a few years without giving a lot of trouble.

It looks dirty from all the rain we've gotten this week.

The reason we needed to buy a second car right now is that Jonathan will be starting a new job on Oct. 25th and he has to commute to Draper. He will be working as an Architect for the Army Corps of Engineers working on a huge Data Center that is being built at Camp Williams. It is a 3 year project. While it is not the perfect job (what job is, though?) he thinks it will give him some real good experience working on a large, design-build project that is going to be a full BIM (Building Information Modeling) and LEED (sustainable design) project, both of which are two of his passions. While I'm not thrilled with the commute (though he thinks it will not be too bad as it is reverse traffic,) and the cost it adds in a car payment, gas, etc., I hope that he will enjoy it and be happy in his job.


On a completely unrelated note, I was not able to run my second 5k today because a week ago Thursday I sprained my ankle. It just turned when I was walking down the stairs. It is my right ankle, the same one I sprained badly 1 1/2 years ago. I didn't walk on it at all the first several days then starting Monday I've been wearing the boot. (I have the boot, wraps, braces, etc. from last time so that is handy.) It is of course a big pain and I'm hoping this Monday to switch from the boot to the brace.

No comments: