So we have had our first week of summer. The worst part of summer is having to take 5 kids to the store with me when I run errands! And with rehearsals I don't have too many free evenings to run errands without the kids. I'm trying to be a little more organized and productive this summer and not let my children spend all day in front of the tv or computer, etc. For 4 out of 5 mornings this week I have gotten up at 6:30 to go walking (with a little jogging in there.) I'm quite proud of myself. I have never considered myself a morning person. I don't wake up before my kids, I sleep as long as possible. But there was no other time I would get exercising in and I have found that I actually like being up that early! It's nice to get out in the morning. It's nice and cool (though I know it won't be that much longer,) and I can get a lot more done in the morning. Most mornings I'm walking with a friend and knowing someone is waiting for you is a good motivation to get myself out of bed.
With my kids, I let them watch tv for just a short time in the morning, then we read scriptures, get ready for the day and do a job/chore. They also have to do reading and piano before they can go do other things. For activities this summer the kids will be taking tennis lessons 2 days a week for the next 3 weeks. Then in the second half of July they will do swimming lessons 5 days a week for 2 weeks. David has cub scouts still and Emily and David still have piano lessons. So I'm hoping this summer will be fun but also productive and not completely lazy and vegetative.
1 comment:
The other day I was talking to my visiting teacher and mentioned the errand issue. She has the same problem so we have planned to have a little babysitting exchange for running errands during the week. She watched my older kids the other day while I went to the store and post office--it was awesome. Is there anyone you know that you could do that with? I figure it's only an hour or two a week that I watch other kids, and it actually works out well for my kids to have a play date. Just a suggestion...
Post a Comment