Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Space Derby

For Cub Scout Pack Meeting last month they had a space derby. This is our first "derby" experience of any kind and we were even less clueless about a space derby. For future reference, make your rocket as slim as possible, the less it weighs the better. Daddy and David spent the time to make the rocket and I had the privilege of being the one at the pack meeting who had to fly it, since Jonathan had to be somewhere else. We had to hand twist the properller to wind the rubber bands inside and I had little cuts all over my fingers from it, the propeller was thin and sharp. Each boy had 4 runs, 1 run on each lane. The first two times we did it the rocket only went a few feet before stopping. I had no idea what was going on, but after the second time I decided to change the rubber bands. The 3rd time he got 3rd place and the 4th time he got second place and finally made it all the way to the end of the track. I feel bad it took me 3 times to get it working, but I think all the boys had fun.


David's award was for "Most Futuristic." I feel bad for the leaders
having to make up all sorts of random awards so that every boy gets one.



Ready to race.


3rd place


Finally made it to the finish line!


Here's a completely unrelated picture.
How many children does it take to conduct the song for Family Home Evening?

No comments: