I had to drag David to the bus stop today with him bawling. This morning he wanted me to check off his paper saying that he read yesterday, but he hadn't read yesterday. He immediately broke down crying because apparently if he doesn't get it checked off that he read he doesn't get "choice time." I understand the teacher is trying to motivate the children to read everyday but when the method makes a child burst in to tears it's probably not appropriate for a first grader. Life happens (and all our books also happen to be packed away) and I don't think withholding an enjoyable part of the school day is an acceptable response to a less than perfect completion of homework. Anyone else agree?
Don't worry, I didn't shove my screaming child onto the bus. On the walk to the bus stop I managed to pretty patiently reason with him about all the other fun stuff he'd be missing if he didn't go to school and he had managed to stop by the time he got to the bus stop. Hopefully he doesn't have a melt down in class if he doesn't get "choice time." Although, maybe that will make the teacher think twice about her methods.
No comments:
Post a Comment