Monday, March 24, 2008

A Yurting We Did Go....

Friday we went over to the coast to Fort Stevens State Park and stayed overnight in a yurt. Let me just say it makes me never want to camp in a tent again. It was very nice to have an indoor space with beds and the kids could play around without stepping on sleeping bags, and you could stand-up, etc. It even had electricity and a little heater.



We actually had relatively nice weather (meaning no rain,) so that was nice. Friday evening we went to the beach and it was low tide and we got to get an up-close look at what is left of a shipwreck from 1906. When we came back Saturday afternoon it was high tide and the wreck was mostly underwater. The kids had fun playing in the sand, hiking the sand dunes, and running from the water.



Saturday morning we went over to the Fort to check out the gun batteries and the little museum. That was also pretty cool. It was however quite cold and windy in the morning. Luckily it warmed up so the beach was enjoyable later in the day.



The only real cons were that being pregnant meant even the bed was very uncomfortable and Ryan decided he didn't want to sleep in a strange place. He cried for a while before going to sleep at about 10pm and he woke up at 5:30 am! So needless to say I pretty much got no sleep that night.

3 comments:

FoxyJ said...

That looks like fun! I've been hearing about yurt camping from a few other people and it sounds like a nice deal. I keep telling myself that when we move to CA we'll do more camping, but I doubt it's really going to happen...

Amy Nielson said...

That looks like fun! Are yurts the same things that Kevin showed us at the place he lives/works?

Julie said...

Yes, the things at Kevin's are yurts. I don't remember though if his had electricity and stuff, and I think they had just cots.