Monday, April 30, 2012

"Puttin' on the Hats."


File this one under, "Never-again." The road show happened on Saturday evening and it's such a relief to have that over with! This was an incredibly stressful thing for me, and not one I was thrilled with doing. I was able to delegate some stuff out, but you still have to do an inordinate amount of things when you're in charge of something. This thing literally kept me up at nights. The overall idea of the show came from a group brainstorm session but I ended up writing the thing, including original lyrics for all the music. The theme for the road shows was "Come listen to a prophet..." Our road show was a melodrama. The evil Dr. Pepper rolls into the Milk and Cookie Saloon in Happy Valley selling these fabulous hats that are guaranteed to make you smarter, thinner, stronger, etc. for the low price of just a month's worth of wages. Through timely messages from prophets delivered by the "Prophet Express" (instead of Pony Express,) the hero, Peter Perfect, is able to save Miss Molly from Dr. Pepper's clutches and run him out of town after a grueling battle of rock-paper-scissors. It ended up going well and from the unbiased opinions of members of our ward was thoroughly enjoyable and one of the favorites of all of them. I did my best to keep things short and simple, (simple story, set, costumes, etc.) We only had 4 rehearsals. But as I said at the beginning of this post, never again will I agree to be in charge of a road show. I couldn't handle the stress a second time around.

No comments: