Friday, March 30, 2012

1-2-3 Magic

I have had several people recommend the book 1-2-3 Magic. It's a book about disciplining your children. I am almost done reading it and I'm impressed with the ideas so we have started implementing them in our house as of a couple of days ago. My big goal with this system is to change the way I parent more than change the kids behavior. I too often respond to my kids bad behavior with bad behavior of my own and both child and parent engaging in a temper tantrum is far from helpful. The key rule for me from this book is the No-Talking/No-Emotion rule. You give ONE short explanation of required behavior and that's all you get. There is no reasoning, no engaging in debate, no lecturing, no yelling, no emotions, etc. When the kids are engaging in a behavior you went them to stop (fighting, whining, teasing, etc.) you "count" them. The kids have to the count of 3 (you give 5 second, silent pauses in between the counts,) at which point you send them to a time out or follow through with whatever other consequence you said would occur. There is no other talking to them involved. You simply give them the chance to stop and if they don't they go to time out, again with no theatrics from you. When they come out you still don't talk about it, you just move on. When there is a behavior you want them to start doing (clean, do homework, etc.) you set up a motivation (a timer, a reward or consequence at the end, etc.) and then you leave them alone. If they do it as they are supposed to then great, if not they miss the reward or have the consequence. But there is no nagging, yelling, talking allowed on your part. Again, you put the responsibility squarely on their shoulders to do it or not. The good, no more yelling parents, the bad, there will be a consequence consistently every time they don't behave. And the consequences are generally mild, unless something stronger is called for. You just want to disrupt the negative behavior and give them a chance to try again. As the book says, it's like your training wild animals, you're not dealing with little adults. I have tried so many times to overcome my temper when it comes to disciplining the kids. I am really hoping that by having it built into a system like this I can finally be successful!! Wish me luck, and check out the book if you think it sounds interesting.

4 comments:

Tiffany said...

Good luck!!! I am going to check out the book! I am so tired of screaming at the kids to get their attention.

Tom said...

Julie,

Last year after the earthquake here, I was dealing with some severe discipline problems, some of them tied to post traumatic stress disorder. It got so bad I finally went to the school counselor for help with my three year old. They handed me a DVD of the 1-2-3 Magic program to watch. I think it did help and we still use those principles. I will give you a heads up though. The hardest part is truly doing what you say you will do and following through with it. My three year old won't stay in time out so I have to literally hold the door shut and ignore her screams and yells. This is very difficult when I am in the middle of dinner or in the past was nursing or dealing with another child. Be tough from the very beginning and be consistent so that you can see the results you want.

Tom said...

By the way, I'm logged on as Tom, but it's really Bridget. :) Thanks for your email a while back. I forgot to reply. We are doing great. We have still been getting earthquakes here quite often and it's still snowing on us. That's the Japan we know right now, but I will miss it. We will be leaving in about 2 months and I am sad.

Shaela said...

This book helped me a lot with my 3 year old.