Friday, January 6, 2012

Food Rules

I just read the book Food Rules by Michael Pollan. It's a great little book with practical advise on healthy eating and you can read it in less than an hour. He says the basic premise of healthy eating can be found in 8 words.

"Eat real food. Not too much. Mostly plants."

"There is no single ideal human diet. The human omnivore is exquisitely adapted to a wide range of different foods. Except, that is, for one: the relatively new Western diet that most of us are now eating. What an extraordinary achievement for civilization: to have developed the one diet that reliably makes people sick!" Western diet is defined as "a diet consisting of lots of processed foods and meats, lots of added fat and sugar, lots of refined grains, lots of everything except vegetables, fruits, and whole grains."

Bottom line, avoid processed foods. Foods that contain ingredients a third-grader can't pronounce, things that contain ingredients you don't have in your pantry, foods that are made to be indestructible and imperishable.

"Eating what stands on one leg (plants) is better than eating what stands on two legs, which is better than eating what stands on four legs." Not to mention the very healthy legless fish.

"Eat all the junk food you want as long as you cook it yourself. Enjoy treats as often as you're willing to prepare them-chances are good it won't be every day." Not to mention it then won't contain unpronounceable ingredients.

I've been trying to eat more natural , with lots of fruits and veggies. My bigger dilema involves the kids. They are already incredibly picky. What would happen if I got rid of all the processed snacks and foods they eat?? Too bad I wasn't smart enough to have always been heating healthy and then they would have not known any different. Trying to shake things up now would probably be hard. I can't even convince Jonathan to lay off the junk, let alone the kids. Maybe next month I just won't buy it and see what happens.


2 comments:

FoxyJ said...

Over the last 4-5 years I've been trying to eat more like this, but not always successfully. I mostly cook our meals with 'real' food, but I also know that I eat too much real butter and cheese and not enough fruit and vegetables. Snacks are also hard; it's so much easier to just throw a granola bar or some crackers at my kids after school. Sometimes I make muffins or smoothies, but most of the time I don't. I wish we could get in the habit of veggies or fruits for snacks but I've been too chicken to try. I have during the last few months started cooking breakfast rather than just doing cold cereal and my kids have been more accepting of that than I thought they would be. Maybe they'd feel that way about snacks if I tried.

Tiffany said...

I think if you slowly introduce your way of eating chances are they will like something! I agree that it is hard to switch kids over to healthy eating. My kids each like different fruits or veggies, so it is kinda hit and miss for us. Good luck, and I really want to read that book now.