Thursday, May 5, 2011

Goodbye tonsils

I've been sick again the last couple of weeks. After testing negative for strep last Wednesday, but still having swollen tonsils for a week, with the pain moving into my jaw so I could hardly open my mouth, I went back to the doctor on Tuesday and tested barely, faintly positive for strep and got on a prescription. I then took myself to an ENT doctor today to talk about getting my tonsils out because I'm tired of this!! He agreed I was probably much, much better off without him. He says it's quite possible I have chronicly infected tonsils, am a carrier of strep, etc. and that if I keep them I'll just keep doing this over and over again. No thank you! While he says it will likely not be very fun for a couple of weeks, that come full recovery from now I'll be so glad I had it done because hopefully then I won't be sick all the time.

Now the question is timing. The doctor says to count on 2 full weeks of recovery time, needing help and such. I figure that summer will be much easier when I don't have to deal with kids to and from school, etc. The catch with that is I've been wanting to do Seven Brides for Seven Brothers for over a year now and it runs through August, with auditions on May 21st. So I've decided to leave it up to the Theater Gods. If I get into the show I'll wait till the show is over. If I don't get in, it will probably end up being last week of July/1st week of August that I do it. (Between the doctor being out of town a couple of weeks in June, my brother's wedding in July, and summer rec. activities planned for the kids, that's when it will be possible to do it.) So, who wants to volunteer to come take care of my kids/house for me for two weeks? ;)

1 comment:

FoxyJ said...

I got my tonsils out when I was ten for the same reason; I don't think I've had strep throat since then, ever. I've heard the recovery is a little harder when you're an adult, so I hope it goes well for you.

We are a little far away, but if we can help let us know :)