Things don't look too great inside there do they?
The passenger door doesn't open quite as easily as it used to.
The inside of the car still stinks from what I am assuming is from the air bag going off.
Late afternoon yesterday (so quite a few hours after the accident,) I took these pictures of our "injuries."
David's neck from the seat belt.
Benjamin's neck from the seat belt.
Small, minor burn on my hand from the air bag. I woke up with a pretty sore/stiff neck this morning and have been treating it with heat.
Something like this makes me think about time, the difference a couple of seconds make, or the little, usually insignificant choices make in what can happen in a day. There were a few things different about our routine yesterday morning. First, we were leaving a couple of minutes later than usual. Secondly, because of being a little late, instead of pulling over to the side of the street and dropping Joshua and Emily off where I normally do, I went ahead and turned onto the street that the entrance to the walk to the school is to put them a few feet closer to school and save them a few seconds. This cost me a few seconds. Thirdly, there are two ways I drive to David's school depending on traffic, lights, etc. If I would have turned instead of going straight there probably would have been enough of a difference in the time I arrived at that intersection to mean I missed the whole thing. There is a second or two worth of time at impact that I don't even know what happened. I remember just before and just after but there are some things missing in the middle there.
Every time we get in the car today Ryan keeps talking about how he hopes we don't get in an accident. When we got close to the spot he said, "Don't get in an accident again." When we safely made it past the spot he said, "I'm glad we didn't crash." When we were going back home after dropping David off he said, "I don't think we'll get in a crash any where else going home." When we went to go get the stuff out of the van he said, "If we get in another crash we'll have to get another car, and then another crash another car, and another crash another car."
1 comment:
It's good that David is planning ahead here.
And those poor kids! I guess the thing to remember is that seatbelt lacerations are better than body-through-the-windshield lacerations.
Post a Comment