Monday, September 20, 2010

5k Run

This summer my friend Dianne and I started getting up early to go walking. We slowly started to add some jogging into it and we eventually got to the point where we were running a lot of our route, which happened to be about 3 miles. The kids' elementary school was doing a 5k for a fundraiser so we decided we were going to run it. I must say that i'm not really a runner. I tried to take up jogging once or twice but it never really stuck. Having someone to go with and a goal to meet has helped, but I still don't find it very enjoyable and it hurts, I've particularly been having problems with shin splints. The day finally arrived and the 5k was just this past Saturday. Of course it had to be unseasonably hot weather. Now, for the funny part of my story. I needed to find a bathroom right before the race started but I couldn't find it and it took me forever so that by the time I finally did find it the race had already started and I was a good 2 -3 minutes behind everyone else, including my running partner. So I ran the whole thing by myself. And I did in fact run the whole thing. I didn't have a time goal, I have a pretty slow pace, but my goal was to run the whole thing. It was hard, but I did it!! My official time was like 37 1/2 minutes, but since I'm adjusting to starting late I figure it took me about 35 minutes which means I placed 4th in my age group (again, adjusting for my late start.) The junior high that Dianne's son goes to is doing one in a few weeks. I think we are going to do that too, this time I won't be late and I'll see what kind of time I really get.




On a completely unrelated note, we got a "new" couch downstairs. Our old one was literally falling apart, the kids would sit and pull the stuffing out of it. I wanted a sleeper sofa, and furniture is so super expensive, but I found a great deal on this couch that is less than a year old and I love it. It is a red (kind of muted jewel tone,) microfiber sleeper sofa. It's nice to have some color in the downstairs room. We actually ended up taking the mattress out of the old sleeper couch because it was a better mattress, so it worked out quite well all around!

2 comments:

Amy Nielson said...

Great job! What a great accomplishment.

Bridget said...

Way to go Julie. Watch out! Before you know it, you will be talking Jonathan into running a marathon with you. :)