Monday, May 10, 2010

Decision

Our school district here has a program called Spectrum and it is a full-time gifted/talented program. It's for 3-6 grade at a few of the elementary schools around here. I had David tested for the program and he has been accepted. In fact he scored in the 99th percentile in the non-verbal assesment test they used. The problem is that now I have to decide whether to put him in it or not. Being in the program would mean that he would have to go to a different school and I would have to drive him. I'm not keen about having the kids in two different schools. But the program would allow David to do normal curriculum at an accelerated pace and then allows the students to take part in additional activities. I think he would like it and right now I'm leaning towards putting him in the program if he wants to do it. It will just complicate life a bit! My biggest concern is I already have a hard time sometimes getting him to do homework and I'm not sure how he'll respond if things become more challenging, it would be good for him though.

3 comments:

Melica and Aaron said...

Hey Julie, I thought I would give you my two cents on this subject (although I'm not sure I am going to be helpful). Lexy is in a full-time gifted class (2nd Grade) and it is a HUGE difference from the regular curriculum. She has definitley struggled with "things not being so easy" anymore. Her homework takes us usually between 1-3 hours depending on what she has and we have had to participate in invention fairs, book fairs and academic fairs. I am happy that she is being challenged, but at 7 years old who is really doing the inventing here?? The parents. It has been a lot of work on our part. But I am not going to have her removed from the gifted program. It is just part of our life now. Sooo, how's that for helpful?? :o) - Melica

Julie said...

Thanks, Melica. That is helpful.

Sarah said...

Jon's mom teaches the accelerated learning 6th grade class at her school and I know they just and the parent orientation a few days ago...I'll ask her for more info but I do remember her saying that if your kid is going to do the program they need to be dedicated to it...if you plan to have lots of sports or other really time consuming activities it is probably not going to be a good experience because there is a higher homework and expectation load...I'll ask her for more details...