I have not been good at housekeeping lately. Now it's not like I've ever been exceptional at it, but lately it has been even harder than usual to get motivated to keep my house clean. There are too many other things I want to do and I've never found house cleaning very enjoyable. But the state of the house is kind of getting out of control and I've decided to take some of the advice I give my children, that work comes first and that I can play when all my jobs are done. So I just sat down and wrote myself up a schedule, breaking up all the work into a few jobs every day. I will start it next week, because I've been sick all week (finally almost feeling better today,) and you can't start a schedule in the middle of it and next week also starts a new month so I figure it's a nice place to start. I also plan to make the kids do more work as well, for instance the 3 older kids can mostly do their own laundry (put it in the machine, change machines and put it away when done.) I have never been above child labor. It's good for them, right?
This week I started doing scripture reading with the kids in the morning before they go to school. It simply was not happening, even less so with me being gone every night and I was feeling like a total loser of a mother who should be raising my kids in the gospel. All this requires is waking myself and my kids up a few minutes earlier than usual and we even get a morning prayer in there before they leave for the day. So far we are 3 for 4 this week, even with me being sick. So at least I have instituted something to make me feel slightly better at how I'm raising my kids.
In other news, I'm staying very busy with play rehearsals and my choir. Just this Saturday my choir had our Beatlemania! concert and Emily sang in it with the new children's choir. It was a great concert that everyone enjoyed and was a lot of fun to sing in and the children's choir was fantastic! Between the two I'm gone most every M-F night and Sat. mornings. Last week at play practice the director asked me to learn the lead role, just in case. The role is already double cast (there is a MWF cast and a TTHS cast,) so odds are very slim to none I'll ever do it, so I just get to put in a lot of work to learn a role I won't perform. But I figure if I can put down on my resume, "Josephine - understudy", I get something beneficial out of it. The show opens one month from tomorrow on March 26th. It's a lot of fun and I'm already looking forward to the next show I'll hopefully be doing in the summer.
4 comments:
I'm all for child labor; we've been trying to implement more of that around here lately as much as we can. S-Boogie is in charge of putting away her laundry, and so far has managed to spend an hour whining about it each time. Eesh. I read a parenting book recently that was mostly focused on teaching your children how to work and making them do it--I agree, it's totally good for them. Everytime they whine about having to clean up a mess that they 'didn't make' (yeah right), I remind them of all the messes I clean up that I didn't make.
I made that same type of cleaning list a few weeks ago. Haven't stuck to it once yet, but at least I have a goal. :) Good luck!
Wow! Good luck with the house cleaning. I think its so awesome you are able to get away to do things you love. Go You!
I think it is a great idea to read scriptures in the mornings. Our mornings are very long before school, I think I will try it starting next week! Also, it is so great you are actively using your wonderful talents! I say let the housework slide....JK
Post a Comment