Well, Emily has still been complaining of her wrist hurting her since Sunday and last night she was crying and couldn't sleep because it hurt so much. So this morning I took her into the pediatrician. The doctor put a splint on it and went ahead and sent me next door to the hospital to have it x-rayed. The doctor called me later this afternoon with the results from the x-ray. She has a "Salter II fracture of her left radius." This fracture involves the growth plate so they want me to take her to an orthopedic pediatrician to have the cast put on it. The Primary Children's Fracture Clinic is on Wednesday, so she won't get a cast put on it till next Wednesday. Until then she's sporting a lovely splint which wraps from her fingers up to her elbow! I feel bad she went a couple days before I took her in, but what is a parent supposed to do? I did try to keep it wrapped with an ace bandage, but she wasn't always wearing that. This splint has a hard thing on the bottom and she will wear it all the time except for quick showers. So we have now experienced our first broken bone. I'm glad it didn't involve an emergency room or urgent care clinic!
Wednesday, September 30, 2009
Our First Broken Bone
On Sunday evening the kids were outside on the swings. Joshua jumped out of the swing and landed on the front of his head and hurt his hands/wrists. Then about 30 mintues later Emily fell out of the swing as she was swinging very high and hurt her wrist. She was carrying on for a quite a while, but this is par for the course with her. I didn't think there was anything major wrong with it. A few minutes later David fell out of the swing on the back of his head. I'm not sure what precipitated this rash of swing accidents as we've never had any before.
Well, Emily has still been complaining of her wrist hurting her since Sunday and last night she was crying and couldn't sleep because it hurt so much. So this morning I took her into the pediatrician. The doctor put a splint on it and went ahead and sent me next door to the hospital to have it x-rayed. The doctor called me later this afternoon with the results from the x-ray. She has a "Salter II fracture of her left radius." This fracture involves the growth plate so they want me to take her to an orthopedic pediatrician to have the cast put on it. The Primary Children's Fracture Clinic is on Wednesday, so she won't get a cast put on it till next Wednesday. Until then she's sporting a lovely splint which wraps from her fingers up to her elbow! I feel bad she went a couple days before I took her in, but what is a parent supposed to do? I did try to keep it wrapped with an ace bandage, but she wasn't always wearing that. This splint has a hard thing on the bottom and she will wear it all the time except for quick showers. So we have now experienced our first broken bone. I'm glad it didn't involve an emergency room or urgent care clinic!

Well, Emily has still been complaining of her wrist hurting her since Sunday and last night she was crying and couldn't sleep because it hurt so much. So this morning I took her into the pediatrician. The doctor put a splint on it and went ahead and sent me next door to the hospital to have it x-rayed. The doctor called me later this afternoon with the results from the x-ray. She has a "Salter II fracture of her left radius." This fracture involves the growth plate so they want me to take her to an orthopedic pediatrician to have the cast put on it. The Primary Children's Fracture Clinic is on Wednesday, so she won't get a cast put on it till next Wednesday. Until then she's sporting a lovely splint which wraps from her fingers up to her elbow! I feel bad she went a couple days before I took her in, but what is a parent supposed to do? I did try to keep it wrapped with an ace bandage, but she wasn't always wearing that. This splint has a hard thing on the bottom and she will wear it all the time except for quick showers. So we have now experienced our first broken bone. I'm glad it didn't involve an emergency room or urgent care clinic!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Poor Emily, I hope it heals quickly!
Post a Comment