1. Smoke stacks

I neglected to realize how industrial UT is, especially the little strip between Salt Lake and Bountiful. There are factories pumping out all sorts of noxious gases and they also like to mine the hills. This is the lovely view I had 2-3 times a day when we were staying in the hotel and I was back and forth to Bountiful.



2. Sales tax
I REALLY miss Oregon's no sales tax thing. They even tax groceries here! I've never lived in a state that put sales tax on groceries, that is usually considered a necessity for life.
3. Haze
Related to number one, the Salt Lake valley can get very hazy. Got to love those famous inversions in the winter months. So glad to know I'm breathing that stuff.
4. 7 pm Primetime
Really?? Come on! How am I supposed to watch my shows when they start at 7 and my kids don't go to bed until 8? This was a real problem when we were living in the hotel. Luckily, we now have a DVR, so this crisis has been averted.
5. Traffic lights
The traffic lights in Salt Lake are unbelievably long!! Probably has something to do with the streets being wide enough to let multiple wagons pass by each other at the same time. I personally feel this leads to being more inclined to run yellow lights. And I think the yellow lights are shorter than normal, or it just takes longer to get through the super-sized intersections. (On a side note, you also often don't get green turn signals around here either. It's just a green light and you have to yield to oncoming traffic. This is a plus when there is no one coming and you can go whenever you want, but a negative when there's a lot of traffic and you can't get through.)
6. Dry
I put lotion on multiple times a day and my hands are still a mess.
7. Static electricity
We are constantly shocking ourselves!
Things I like About Utah
1. The Mountains
Absolutely gorgeous!
2. My house!
3. Seeing family
It's been fun to hang out with my brothers, sister, and Jonathan's sister's family.
4. Neighbors
We've been very welcomed at church and into the neighborhood and have already made some friends. Everyone has been very friendly and helpful.
3 comments:
Now Julie, I invited you to the crystal clear skies down here in Spanish. But you wanted to go to the "land of Bountiful". I'm sorry you were decieved, though ;)
Oh how I despise primetime at 7:00. I didn't realize how great the 8:00 primtime was until I moved back to Idaho. Now I only watch shows after 8:30. A huge bummer. Also I love the mountains too.
I loved your list. I have to laugh at the stuff you dislike about Utah. Some things I hadn't thought about. Even more reasons for me to stay here in Oregon. How awful to have prime time at 7pm. The upside to that is you can record on your DVR at 7pm, and then watch it at 8pm and skip all the commercials. I am glad you have made friends. Friends make life wonderful despite any downsides in our living arrangements.
Post a Comment