Saturday, August 30, 2008

Moving

So if you somehow have not heard or hadn't guessed from the fact that our house is for sale, we are moving. Jonathan has accepted the position of Architect II with the LDS Church. (Technically his employer is the Corporation of the Presiding Bishopric.) He has to be in Salt Lake to start working there by Sept. 15th. This has been a very hard month and half for us, me especially. It was not in our plans to move. We liked the Portland area and planned to stay here for a while. Jonathan was looking for another job in Portland and just happened to apply for this position with the Church. I never expected him to be offered the job or accept it. But he felt very strongly that this is what we are supposed to do. It has worked out amazingly well in many ways, as it is a good offer financially and every where else employment is precarious because of the state of the economy. But we never planned to live in UT, and we certainly didn't want to be trying to sell a house and move at this time. I REALLY don't want to live in snow. So we went through the stress of making the decision, then we went through the very crazy and stressful time of getting the house all fixed up and ready to go on the market. Now we have the stress of trying to sell our house in a very slow housing market (in the week and a few days it has been on the market we have not had a single person come look at it.) And in the future I look forward to the stress of moving and finding a house in UT. A saving grace in this is the fabulous relocation package, I am so looking forward to have someone pack and move me for the first time in my life.

We haven't yet decided what to do if we don't sell the house in the next couple of weeks. I don't want to live with Jonathan in Salt Lake and me and the kids here. I could only do that for a few weeks tops. Of course, on the other hand, we can't afford to pay our mortgage here and rent something there for more than a month. And the poor kids will be in school here for a few weeks, then somewhere in UT for a few weeks, and than another school in UT once we get into a house there. Luckily they are still young so it will be easier for them to adjust. So that is where we are right now. We're just kind of taking it one day at a time trying to figure out what to do with ourselves and I'm striving to not have a break down. Wish me luck on that one!

5 comments:

B.G. Christensen said...

Hurray for relocation packages!

Katie said...

Once you guys are finally settled in Utah, we'd love to have you guys over!

Heidi said...

Oh my word I can't believe you're up and moving! I'm excited that you'll be close again. But I can't believe the stress you must be under! Where are you guys looking for a house? Have you ever checked out zillow.com? They have a cool interactive list of houses currently on the market. It might help with the search.

Anonymous said...

I am praying for you and hope everything will work out right! Good luck and my favorite stress reducer is chocolate.

Emma Crowther said...

I am so sad you are leaving Oregon. However, Utah is a good place to go as we visit there to see family and we can come see you in Utah on one of our visits.